Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Autumn


Goodness gracious...I just love autumn. I love it so much I think it deserves a better name than "fall". I love the weather, the smells, the leaves, the colors....like most of you, I love this time of year. Sadly, Autumn is also my busiest season. I don't know why things seem to get so busy, but I find myself having to work a little bit harder to get outside and enjoy the favorite things that used to be so readily available. Creativity seems to flow more easily in autumn and inspiration is everywhere. I want to write more, think more, enjoy people more this time of year. I want to retreat to a cabin with friends and run through the corn maze with my growth group. I want to go home and enjoy the mountains (and the apples) with my family. I bought Javi a new sweater and this weekend we'll go up to gold rush. It mays sound funny...but God makes sense in autumn. The artist side comes out and I remember the parts of Him that captured me in the first place.

I feel like the rest of my life is changing seasons right now too. Old things that used to be alive and well are changing colors and falling away, making room for new growth. The air is a little different in my professional life and I fight the busyness of the season for a chance to pay close attention and enjoy the change. I feel like I'm rediscovering God's creativity in my own life just as I do in the world outside. These times are so special, in part because they are so short. Before long, Christmas will be here and a new season will settle in with it's own surprises and famliarities.

No comments: